In 2022, gender equality in the workforce stands at 62.9%, the lowest figure ever. 30% more male managers are employed in technology. There are four times as many graduates in technical subjects as female graduates. Italy is 63rd (72%) worldwide, 25th in Europe. Our score is particularly bad with regard to women's participation in economic life and the world of work, but we do well in participation in online education with regard to IT and ICT courses. In Italy, after the pandemic, there is a boom in female entrepreneurs (+62%). [Global Gender Gap Report 2022].
In order to encourage the presence (and permanence) of women in the world of work, support gender equality in Stem disciplines and professions and contribute to achieving the objectives of the European Digital Decade (20 million ICT specialists and gender convergence), the Coding Girls programme was born. Today it is supported by a large educational alliance, led by the Fondazione Mondo Digitale, which involves schools, families, as well as companies, universities and public and private organisations. In the 2020-2021 school year, the project has engaged 15,000 female students from 100 schools in 64 Italian cities and over 30 academic partners.
The model, centred on coding training, peer education, orientation sessions on scientific careers and role modelling with female researchers, entrepreneurs and scientists, has taken on different thematic and territorial declinations over time: with the COde&FraME for Self Empowerment (Co.Me.SE) project alongside Eni, girls have become experts in energy transition, while in Turin with the Compagnia di San Paolo Foundation we have begun to study the effects of the programme on the university and work choices of the protagonists.
Today, with the Start Up Lab in collaboration with ING, we are also able to support women over 50 who want to reinvent themselves in the world of work, guiding them in the creation of a business project and the development of strategic digital skills.
The Fondazione Mondo Digitale experiences dedicated to women of all ages:
- BYE - Build Your Experience con Google (2016-2017)
- COde&FraME con Eni (2020)
- COde&FraME for Self Empowerment con Eni (dal 2021 - in corso)
- Coding Girls con Missione Diplomatica USA in Italia e Microsoft (dal 2014 – in corso)
- Coding Girls Torino con Fondazione Compagnia di San Paolo (dal 2020 – in corso)
- Gender Equality Matters (concluso)
- Iow - Internet delle Donne con Facebook (2018-2019)
- Nuvola Rosa con Microsoft (dal 2013)
- Roberta (2008)
- She Means Business con Facebook (2017-2019)
- Start-Up Lab con ING (dal 2020 – in corso)
- Women in local development (2007-2008)
- Women in Technology con Costa Crociere (2016-2018)